Seniors

Seniors
Love this class!

Friday, April 15, 2011

todaysmeet.com

I have to tell you, I love back channeling.  I have used this in a variety of ways, and without fail, it is a crowd pleaser.  You have to be somewhat forgiving if you use this, because the kids can't help but post some silly comments.  I just remind them that everything can be printed and will be sent to the discipline office.  The first few times I used it within my classroom, and it was fun.  Once we listened to an audiocast of a book, and the kids were encouraged to post questions or comments.  Another time, we watched a movie and stopped at certain points to discuss what was happening.  The kids loved it, but to me, it seemed easier to just talk.  I used it more effectively this year.  Once, we back channelled with a class from another state, and once, we back channelled with another class within the school.  This, in my opinion, was a much more entertaining way to use this website.  Using today's meet to back channel addresses a number of the language arts standards in speaking: 3.3.a.1:Support a position integrating multiple perspectives. 3.3.A.2: Support, modify, or refute a position in small or large group discussion.  3.3.A.3: Assume leadership roles in student-directed discussions, projects, and forums.  3.3.A.4: Summarize and evaluate tentative conclusions and take the initiative in moving discussions to the next stage. It has the added benefit of having both rigor and relevance if used correctly, and can take students into quadrant D. Basically, you just go to Today's Meet, and create a room.  It will be valid for a week.  You give the students the URL, and they can go directly to the room, create a name, and start chatting.  It's that easy.  Here is a jing to help you:  Today's Meet.

2 comments:

  1. Great blog Mrs. Hartman. It is interesting to see all of the technology available to teachers today. I haven't been in the classroom full time since 1998 and things have certainly changed from that time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy back channeling using ietherpad, I would love to use it with another class at the same time as they watch a video or listen to a podcast. That would be the best scenario. I think the students would be more polite to each other as well.

    ReplyDelete